Sunday, February 19, 2012

Element 1: Good Posture

The first of the 5 Basic Elements is "Good Posture." Good posture is also the first sub-point of the next 2 elements. That should give you a clue as to just how important it is. But, this can be a little tricky. I studied mime in college, (I'm sorry. Don't hate me! I don't do street mime anymore, if that helps!) and good posture for a mime involves leaning forward too much for singing. Good posture for a soldier puts the shoulders way too far back.


Here are the steps for a singer:


A. Feet shoulder-width apart - its important to feel like you're grounded. You don't want to feel like you're about to collapse into a blob on the floor. 


B. Bottom tucked under - this is the same as tucking your pelvis. We want the back as straight and flat as possible. The pelvis tuck is just a pivot. The easiest way to accomplish this is to squeeze the gluteus maximus (butt cheeks) together. I found this picture. I hope it helps.
This actually takes it a bit too far in the other direction, but I hope you get the idea.

C. Rib cage lifted - once again, a pivot. Imagine there is a string attached to the bottom of your sternum (breast-bone) and someone is gently pulling it up. This will be a very small motion.

These three steps are designed to create as much space as possible in the torso. This will become important when we discuss Proper Breathing and supporting the tone. (The second is not one of the 5 Basic Elements - it'll come later)


D. Chin slightly tucked under (no goose-neck!) Goose necking does not involve a goose at all, but is the tendency to hold your chin up and out, in the belief that this will open up the back of the throat. It does the opposite. If the chin is just slightly tucked downwards, it will open up the back of the throat, which will be very important when we get to Relaxation of the Vocal Mechanism. 


This all may sound pretty easy, but nobody stands like this. Often, it's easier for female singers to practice in flat shoes. I remember going to voice lessons wearing heels, and kicking them off to sing barefoot.


Sometimes how we think is almost as important as what we do in singing. So, here's an exercise for you. Close your eyes. (No, wait! Read through this first and then try it. Whew! Almost lost you, there!)


Stand in the proper position and close your eyes. Imagine that there are roots growing out the soles of your feet. (We are leaving science far, far behind. Try not to let that bother you.) These roots reach through the floor and into the warm soil. (No, I don't care that there's snow on the ground! We are leaving reality behind, too.) These roots go all the way to the center of the earth, where, for our purpose, there is a huge pocket of warm air. The air comes back up to you through the roots. Your body is now supported by this column of warm air. It fills you. Standing is now effortless, and there is more than enough air to support the longest phrases. (But this is beginning to run over into Proper Breathing!)


I know this exercise sounds stupid, but it has some practical benefits. I was singing on stage in Germany. My aria (Aria is Italian for "Air" and in this case means a song from an opera.) For those of you who may not know me very well, I'm 5'5", and at the time I weighed about 150 lbs. There was a bass (male singer with a very deep voice - not a fish) crossing behind me. At least, he was supposed to cross behind me. He caught his foot on something and fell. On me. 


You need to understand something here: this was not a small man. He was about 6'8", and weighed in excess of 500 lbs. All of that mass landed squarely on my right shoulder. I think I will always remember the look of sheer terror on that man's face when he realized he was going to land on me. I'm sure he had visions of squashed soprano! 


Fortunately for us both, I was singing at the time. I was rooted not just to the floor, but to the center of the earth. I won't lie and say I didn't notice, because I did notice (adrenaline may have had a share in holding me up, too). But I did hold us both up and completed my aria without a problem. That's what your mind can do for you!


I'm not saying that you cannot move while you're singing. Of course you can, you just have to learn how to make those roots move with you. (That's advanced root-training.) 


(I'm kidding - there is no advanced root-training - yet.)


Next time: Relaxation of the Vocal Mechanism

No comments:

Post a Comment